Living in a world where so many are concerned with viruses means more of us are understanding the importance of a strong immune system. Your immune system protects you from picking up new pathogens and toxins. It also attacks whatever foreign invaders have made their way inside.
From your diet and lifestyle to beliefs, your choices have huge impacts on the state of our immune systems. The intention of this article is to help you understand what decisions you can make to support your body in having a healthy immune response.
Immune System Function
Your immune system is your body’s main defense mechanism. It protects you from foreign invaders like viruses, bacteria, fungus, mold, parasites, and toxins. It does this with both new exposure and older troublemakers that have slipped through the cracks. The immune system isn’t able to do its job very well when we eat certain foods and live an anxious or fearful life. On top of that, particular foods and toxins weaken it. Subsequently this feeds many of the troublemakers, allowing them to proliferate and thrive.
Just know one thing. Your body is always on your side. The theory that the immune system attacks the body is false. It only attacks invaders. And yes, that includes those of you with “autoimmune conditions”. The suffering from these illnesses is very real, but the cause behind them is not a body that has failed you. Learn more about autoimmune disease in this post.
Foods that Weaken Your Immune System
You might look at the following lists and think it’s unrealistic to remove all of these things from your diet and your life. Maybe so. But, you can drastically reduce the use of that which you have control over. Your body will thank you and chances are you will notice a huge difference in how you feel.
- Toxic fats and oils present in processed foods and fast foods bring down immunity.
- Dairy products help breed viruses and bacteria and cause inflammation. They also often contain hormones, antibiotics, and GMOs which can further harm your immune system.
- Eggs help breed viruses, bacteria, molds, and fungus. These too often contain GMOS and antibiotics. Read more about eggs here.
- Canola oil feeds viruses, bacteria, fungus, and mold. If that’s not bad enough, it acts like battery acid on your arteries.
- Unfiltered tap water with fluoride and chlorine can greatly hinder having a strong immune system. It’s critical for you to drink clean filtered water. The Berkey is by far one of the best water filtration systems out there. Do make sure to get the white fluoride filters along with the black ceramic filters! You can even get shower filters by Berkey to help you bath in water free of these toxins.
- Gluten, Corn, Soy, MSG are also best avoided as they can confuse the immune system and feed pathogens.
- Drinks in aluminum cans. Aluminum is damaging to the immune system. You can also be exposed to aluminum through water, the air, and pesticides. Heavy metals like aluminum put tremendous stress on the immune system. Find out more about heavy metal detox.
Products that Weaken Your Immune System
- Air fresheners are one of the most harmful things and can destroy your immune system. Especially the plug-ins. Avoid these at all costs. Try using an essential oil diffuser instead. It can be fun to put together your own blend of oils.
- Chemicals and cleaners. They break down the immune system. Especially bleach. Dry cleaning, carpet cleaning, hair dye, and conventional cleaning products fall under this category. Choose natural cleaning products or make your own with vinegar, castile soap, baking soda, essential oils.
- Pesticides, herbicides, and fungicides. This includes the spraying of lawns and gardens as well as conventional produce. Parks and golf courses are sprayed as well. You can call and find out schedules so that you can avoid the days they spray.
- Fragrances in perfumes, hair products, body products, scented candles, and conventional laundry detergent. I assure you, there are options out there without “fragrance”. You can find unscented products or products that only use pure essential oils for scent.
- Nail polish & remover This includes adhesives for acrylic or gel nails.
You might already be someone who is sensitive to chemicals. Check out this post of mine that’s all about multiple chemical sensitivity.
Immune System Boosting Foods
Bringing more of these foods into your life can work wonders in creating a strong immune system.
- Citrus. Oranges, grapefruit, lemon, lime. Juiced or squeezed in water.
- Wild Blueberries and other berries
- Sweet potatoes and yams
- Raw garlic Garlic is an antiviral that also helps prevent disease. It can be juiced with other veggies, blended with fresh tomatoes and spices for a raw salsa, or minces raw on top of steamed veggies.
- Raw Honey is one of the most powerful antimicrobials around. It’s also packed with essential enzymes, amino acids, vitamins, minerals, and fatty acids that are vital for keeping the immune system healthy.
- Ginger ginger is antiviral and helps the body from reacting to a new exposure. Put fresh slices in your water and sip on it throughout the day. Juice it with fruits or throw in fruit smoothies.
- Elderberry syrup is great at boosting the immunity by rebuilding and replenishes immune cells while weakening incoming pathogens
- Turmeric is a powerful antiviral that lowers inflammation and reduces viruses in the body. Helps liver filter toxins from the bloodstream. It can be juiced along with fruits and veggies or made into Turmeric Ginger shots for an extra boost.
- Celery juice fights off viruses and bacteria and helps to enhance immunity.
- Rosemary, Sage and Thyme kill of pathogens and rebuild the immune system
- Healing Broth is a special recipe created by Spirit through the Medical Medium. This yummy, nourishing broth can help prevent and treat pathogens.
- Chaga powder. This mushroom helps eliminate pathogens, supports the immune system and adrenals, and provides essential nutrients. Try moving it in a smoothie or make a chaga chai.
Immune Boosting Supplements
- Vitamin C We all know vitamin C helps our immune system, but probably don’t realize just how much it can actually do in a bioavailable supplement. No only does it strengthen the immune system, it also helps eliminate pathogens, strengthening the immune system, but it also repairs tissues and cells. Ester C and liposomal C are the best versions of C for your immune system to be able to utilize.
- Spirulina is the best natural multi vitamin out there. It helps create a strong immune system and stops viruses. Make sure it’s a high quality brand.
- Zinc Sulfate we are more likely to get sick when we’re zinc deficient and this is hands down one of the most common deficiencies. Without enough zinc, the immune system and over or under react to invaders.
- B12 is the other most common and important deficiency to address. It’s essential for every cell in the body. Without enough, recovery from illness can take much longer. Make sure it’s the right kind. Methylcobalamin and adenosylcobalamin.
- Olive Leaf is great at protecting us from new exposures to pathogens and can kill off viruses, bacteria, and mold.
- Goldenseal fights acute viral infections, restores immunity, and protects critical areas of the body, including lungs. Make sure to take an alcohol-free version.
- Cat’s Claw is one of the most powerful antivirals on the planet.
- Herbal Teas Lemon balm, nettle leaf, echinacea, and rose hip are wonderful preventatives and also can help treat new exposure to pathogens. Traditional Medicines is a reputable brand.
Anxiety and the Immune Response
In addition to all of these pieces, one aspect of our wellbeing that often gets overlooked is our stress levels. This has a profound effect on the immune system. When we are anxious or in a constant state of fear, this can lower the immune system easily without the presence of an actual physical threat. Abstaining from the consumption of fearful news, movies, TV, and social media content can be so beneficial in attaining a strong immune system. Eating nourishing foods like those above will be of great benefit in lowering anxiety as well.
Whatever your perspective of the massive change humanity is in the midst of, the more solid you are within yourself, the best you can navigate it. Supporting your immune system is a huge piece. But the immune system is not separate from the other aspects of your body and self. Try practicing good self care. Tending to your mental, emotional, and spiritual needs are also important in being balanced and well.
Ultimately, at the end of the day, you might notice that you can only control so much of what. Making some of these changes can be incredibly beneficial in boosting your immune system. But also, praying to Spirit, God, the Divine, or whatever your higher power may be can help you rebuild your immune system as well. Ask the Angel of Healing for help. You can call upon The Unknown Angels as well. Just know that you aren’t alone. And remember, your body is always wanting to fight for you.